CB whip antennas are crucial to those who seek to better their communication experience or take it to the next level. More often than not, CB radio enthusiasts constantly seek to improve on their equipment to make them powerful and reliable in some cases.
Adding a CB whip antenna will allow you to do some things that your current radio setup might not. It will allow you to improve your signal strength, giving you the ability to contact fellow truckers on the road.
You cannot go wrong by purchasing a CB whip antenna to your radio. While shopping for your new or even used CB, keep in mind the following aspects:
- Type of Antenna: It is important to know the correct antenna for your application, as they come in different shapes, sizes and feature sets. Different types of cars may also necessitate different designs of antennas. For example, it is illogical to put a 106″ antenna on a car roof. Such an installation would call for a magnetic mount antenna with a small footprint. The same applies to motor homes, pickups-trucks and semi-trucks.
- Mounting Compatibility: As alluded in the point above, different vehicles will require different types of CB whip antennas. Luckily for you, almost all antennas use the standardized 3/8” x 24 connecting threads that almost all of the existing CB radios in the market use. However, this does not mean that you should assume and buy any CB whip antenna out there. You may end up with a product that does not meet your requirements, so make sure to buy the correct antenna.
- Customer Reviews: Customer reviews are a crucial consideration when seeking to buy a whip antenna. In many cases, they have a good experience with the product, and most give a true and honest opinion of their use. You will be able to have a clear picture of the performance, reliability, and durability of the antenna you are about to purchase.
The PROCOMM JBC line of whip antennas was designed with a fiberglass base and an adjustable stainless-steel whip, to allow maximum mounting flexibility. It also comes in three sizes (hence the three model numbers), affording you the ability to choose what works best for you, while avoiding cutting it. It is available in 3′, 4′, and 5′ lengths, making it great for situations where low-hanging obstacles can potentially come into contact with it.
- Comes in multiple lengths to fit your application
- Stainless steel whip construction for durability
- Sleek design
- Mount & stud not included
The Wilson 880-900906 is a 66-inch long whip antenna from one of the most reputed brands in the antenna industry. This whip impresses its customers with powerful performance and reliability, thanks to its impressive build quality. It can also be easily used as a replacement steel whip antenna for a CB radio.
- Long and tapered with a tip
- Great features that work as advertised
- Some use cases may not even require cutting
- Does not come with a mount stud
- May require cutting to length in certain applications
The WORKMAN 102SSWA is a 102-inch CB or ham radio antenna rated with a 1000W power capability. This makes it great for long range transmissions. Its operating frequency ranges from 26-30Mhz. This antenna is SWR Adjustable, which works perfect if coupled with a radio with this function. It will fit all areas that can take the 3/8 x 24 threaded mounts, which is common for antennas this size. The 102SSWA whip antenna also benefits from a 17-7 PH tapered stainless steel construction, making it perfect for people living or operating in moist environments. It comes in the box with an AS1 Mounting Stud and Allen Key.
- SWR compatibility adjusts instantaneously
- Can easily be mounted with only two screws
- Very clear reception
- The whip antenna is not adjustable
Hustler’s IC56 102-inch whip antenna is an industry’s favorite, thanks to its high-quality construction and superb performance. It was designed from 17-7 PH tapered stainless steel which prevents the antenna from bending easily. You can bend the HUSTLER IC56 180 degrees and it will still go back to its original form.
Engineers also designed it with driver safety in mind being that it is so long. One of these is its already discussed bendable nature, but most importantly, it has a static dissipation tip, which reduces unwanted static buildup preventing you from any risks associated with static discharges. All in all, this unit is perfect for most applications and can be easily mounted, thanks to the use of 3/8 x 24 threaded mounts.
- Receiving distance is incredibly higher
- Prevents you from doing illegal mods such as a power booster
- Cab flex 180° without deforming or snapping
- Little to no degradation of signal quality even if you are running high air intakes on off road vehicles
- Great build quality Hustler antennas are known for
- Easily tunes without modifications
- Does not come with any set of screws for mounting which is an inconvenience especially for DIY people.
The Browning 140-B NMO is a 49″ stainless steel whip with a black chrome finish with great features such as unity gain and DC ground/shunt feed. It also features a gold-plated plunger type contact pin, in addition to the premium coil with solid brass base and top. This whip has a 200 watts power handling capability and employs NMO mounts.
- Good solid construction
- Black chrome finish gives it a premium look
- Mount not included with the antenna
CB whip antennas are a great addition to your communication accessories. They can dramatically improve your CB radio’s performance, for a lower budget, and there is always one for any application out there. The five reviewed here are just but some of the most commonly used ones. These have a reputation of being flexible and durable while offering incredible range. Do not forget to look out for customer reviews, antenna type and mount design, before deciding on which CB radio whip antenna to buy.